Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Extreme Unction



This is part of a poster I saw in my bus today.

In an apparent teaser for the grand finale of the International Eucharistic Congress (IEC2012) in Croke Park on 17 June next, the poster advertises a religious gathering in Croke Park on 20 May at which there will be a free bottle of Psalm oil for everyone in the audience.

The organisers are the United Church of the Kingdom of God, which boasts 500 members in Ireland. The Psalm oil seems to be their version of Holy Water and the poster claims that the oil has successfully treated alcoholism and even silenced unwanted voices (a useful Curial adjunct in these troublesome times).

The scriptural basis for using this oil is Psalm 23 - [The Lord is my Shepherd ... You prepare a table before me/ in the presence of my enemies./ You anoint my head with oil;/ my cup overflows. ...]

So the Eucharistic Congress's grand finale, Statio Orbis (loosely translated as "Stop the World, I want to get off"), will need to look to its laurels.

The full UCKG poster is reproduced below. Clicking on the image will show a larger version.



No comments:

Post a Comment