Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

No Donkey for Blondie


Even the simple crib, a staple of the Christmas Season, is now being dragged into controversy.

If that's the case let me add my own wee bit of fuel to the flames.

You will note the cow, but not the donkey. Well the Pope has apparently conluded that there is no scriptural justification for the animals at the birth of Jesus. So, out with the animals. But, hang on a moment. Before we boot the cow out the door, let us consider the possible consequences. As all good children know, and as can be clearly seen from the Italian plaster cast statues of my youth, Mary does not have breasts. Perish the thought. So that's breastfeeding out. And do we really want Jesus to start life on baby formula? I thought not. So [Northern Unionist expletive deleted] we keep the cow.

My next comment concerns the child's parentage. Snide unbelievers have long mocked the idea of the Virgin Birth and have asserted that Joseph was the biological father. So why, in that case was the child born blond. This is not only a proof of the Virgin Birth, but it shows that the Holy Ghost is a blond, and that is surely good news for all those light hair ladies out there. Indeed, there has recently been speculation about the gender of the selfsame bird.

And if you are still reading this post

Have a Happy Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Since posting the above, I now see that, in addition to married priests and women priests, the Virgin Birth, has now become a trigger for the CDF silencer shotgun.

    The case of the Colombian Jesuit, Alfonso Llano Escobar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been accused of not having read what the Pope said. And when I pointed out I had read him, I was accused of spreading a fairy story about what he had not said, and that in fact he had said the direct opposite. You can see the spat here.

    Let me first say that the post was intended as a relatively light hearted one. When I am serious I can be very serious.

    What I said was that the Pope had pointed out that there was no scriptural justifcation for the presence of the animals on the premises where Jesus was born. That is what he said. He then went on to make the case that if it was a stable then there were likely animals there, though what they might have been was another matter. My point was that a strict interpretation of scripture specifically in relation to Jesus's birth would suggest dumping the animals. That was my interpretation. The Pope didn't say that. In fact he fairly ducked that one and said keep the animals. The Papacy wasn't quite so understanding when it came to St. Philomena, but that's another story. And perhaps at that time they were just oblivious to bad publicity and uncaring about the feelings of the laity.

    Anyway, that's my story.

    Now, when I am serious, I am quite serious, as in here and here. This is where I am coming from and when I get very serious I get very serious as in here.

    So there.

    ReplyDelete